Saturday, September 1, 2012

Communication

I am in the process of learning American Sign Language (ASL), which is the most commonly used and accepted sign language within the deaf communities in the United States. I learning so much about the language, and I am also learning so much about the deaf culture. First, I have learned that there are many opinions of what is acceptable and which language is to be used. Some people feel that sign language should not ever even be used; others feel that people should go to a school for the deaf and learn how to speak. While some believe in schools for the deaf, others are very much against this because they don't believe that they need to learn how to lip read and speak; instead they should be able to communicate in an alternative way and not feel like they have to conform to some expectation the rest of society has set. It has been really interesting and I am increasingly intrigued by these different opinions and I respect every single one of them, because who is to say that a person's chosen way of communication is "wrong" or "right"? I do not feel like I am someone that gets to make that decision.

Thinking about the various accepted and not accepted ways of communication within the deaf community made me understand the ASL language even more. You see the language is very interesting. It is not like English in the way that there is one sign that may mean a variety of different things, but the way you know the difference is in the body communication (facial expressions, body language). So you really have to watch what the other is trying to communicate to you. In ASL it isn't about an even translation with words, its about the meaning. So if I said something and someone was to translate that into ASL, it could be translated with different signs. So when you sign, you chose signs that best represent what you mean; therefore this could be different between two or more people because they chose to communicate it differently.  I saw perfect examples of this when I looked up the ASL translation of songs and each person I looked at did it differently. None of them are wrong, but they are just finding different ways to communicate the song, because it may have different meaning to each person. 

Communication is such an important thing. It is the way we share stories, feelings, needs, wants, emotions; its how we participate in relationships. Now that I am learning ASL, it is amazing the relationships that are opening up at my work with clients. Not only am I excited that I can understand and communicate with them, but they are so eager to teach and patient because it is such a joy to have someone understand their way of communication. Now all of my clients do not sign nor do they all sign the same, but I am learning by spending time with them what their signs are and I can better understand what their way of communication is. There are clients that communicate in the way that they turn their head, or in sounds they make; but all of this is still communication and it is just as important that I spend time learning their languages too.

People do not communicate in the same way; and just as it is important that I am patient and understanding of someone learning English for the first time, we should also be patient and understanding of someone who signs or other forms of communication. I was surprised at how much I can communicate with someone who communicates by the turning of her head. That may seem small to some, but I have learned she is a beautiful person. 

So what does this mean for congregations out there? I think congregations are called to think out of the box, and think of ways in which we can communicate to the people in the community. How can we include people in worship using different forms of communication? First I understand that not all congregations have a lot of money to spend on elaborate solutions, however it is important that room is made in the budget where you can.  Of course people can bring in translators for worship, but you can also have several printed copies of sermons, messages, passages, etc. available. One can also make sure there are small group or one on one times during scripture lessons (Sunday school). This one on one or small group time gives an opportunity to personally communicate with each other, this gives people more opportunity to share their thoughts. While these are just a few ideas; it is MOST important to ASK the people in your community. This week I will make sure to post some websites that have some ideas and resources. 

Thank you all for reading this week. I welcome any thoughts, or if you have resources please feel free to post. Thank you all so much.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment