Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Patience May Open Doors

This is a time of waiting for many people. For Jews, this is a time to remember they are waiting for a Messiah. They are remembering how long they  have waited and all that the Jewish people have been through while they wait for what is yet to come. For Christians, we too are remembering the waiting the Jews have had to do throughout history; waiting in the wilderness, waiting for the Messiah that people for hundreds of years have been talking about. And this is also a time of resting in the NOW and not being scared or anxious about the past, nor afraid or rushing the future. Advent is a time to discover what God is doing in the NOW because the past is already gone and the future is not garenteed. Waiting though can be difficult and in my oppinion it doesn't REQUIRE patience. Instead patience is a gift, and I would argue a gift from God. Patience helps us by providing the space that we can wait and enjoy the time we are living in at the present moment.

I am learning a lot about patience. I am learning it is difficult for everyone, because we are all looking forward to something. One of the men I work with is so excited about Christmas that he gets his days mixed up and has a very difficult time keeping track of time. He gets so excited that he doesn't know what to do with himself that he just dances or starts laughing because he has so much energy and excitement and he has bursts of joy.

As we all know lack of patience does not always come out in a joyful way. Whether we are waiting for a stoplight when no one is coming in the other direction, or someone takes an extra long time in the grocery line, or someone won't stop talking to you, maybe someone is trying to say something but they are stuttering and and you just want to finnish their sentence. Beleive me, there are many times when I want to hurry things up and get to the finish line (whatever that finishline may be). However, I have learned, and continually being reminded, that patience may open possabilities. I am freinds with and work with individuals who take a longer time processing things they hear or processing something they want to say. One option is to avoid talking to those people, because I know having a conversation with them is going to take a while. Another option is to only ask quetions with "yes" or "no" answers; this way may cut down on time. Not only would this be completely robbing this individual of a possible friendship or even relationship because of a selfish motivation; but this would also be robbing me of getting to this person and all that they have lived through and experienced. There is no opportunity for possability. 

I have experienced remarkably enlightening moments, because of what I have been blessed to learn from someone who experiences the world through a different lens. I have had the opportunity to possabilities that I never knew existed because of beautiful conversations.

I beleive THAT is why we are supposed to learn to wait. Its not so much that I am waiting for an end result, but I am waiting for the next Godly moment. Who knows when or how God may show up; but if we all have patience we may be surrprised who we may meet and what doors of possability and enlightenment God may give.

Patience is difficult and I beleive we can not do it alone.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment